Tuesday 6 December 2016

Errant Spark (Elemental Trials, Book 1 ) by Ronelle Antoinette

Ronelle Antoinette lives in western Colorado with her husband, two cats, and one dog-who-believes-he's-a-person. While she is a mother to none, she’s an auntie to what should qualify as a small army. She is an admitted caffeine addict, chocoholic, and hopeless romantic who has carried on a passionate affair with the genre of fantasy since she was old enough to read 'chapter books'.

She dabbled in creative writing for many years and even considered it as a major in college. (She ended up getting a Bachelor's degree in Counseling Psychology.) She published her first novel, Errant Spark, in July of 2016.


Connect with the Author



About the Book


In Egalion’s Imperial court, there is splendor and luxury, but it’s also a realm of treachery and cloak-and-dagger political maneuvering that threatens to destroy the peace of two-thousand years. They say to keep your friends close and your enemies closer, but at court you can’t tell one from the other…and they change at the flip of a coin.

Twenty-five-year-old Battlemage Jex Xander has a mouth which frequently gets him in trouble, while in contrast, Enari Namelum speaks not at all. When Jex becomes the target of a faceless curse-slinger, Enari, the girl he protects, must now protect him. The discovery of ritual human sacrifices and Jex’s growing inability to keep his feelings (and hands) to himself only serve to complicate matters. Passion and romance should be the last thing on their minds, but life and the Goddess seem to have other ideas.

Errant Spark is the hush before the storm, the last deep breath before the plunge. The flint has been struck and it’s possible the world might go up in flames…because love in the Imperial court is as dangerous a thing as backroom politics and jealousy can be as much a driving force as silver and gold.

Get it today on Amazon, Smashwords, and Barnes & Noble!




Keep reading for an interview with Jex Xander from Errant Spark (Elemental Trials, Book 1):


Where were you born, and what was it like growing up there?


I...*runs hand over hair self-consciously* was born in Atromore, though that isn't common knowledge and raised in Tor's Alley. That's near the wall in Rowan, Egalion's capitol city. I lived there till I was five or so--I got caught trying to pick the pocket of the High Mage--before going to Turris Arcana to study magic.

Do you have a close relationship with your family?


Despite living across the kingdom, I'm very close to my mother. I write her often and visit whenever I can. I have a younger sister, but pretty as she is, she's a bossy pest. We're close enough, I suppose.

Who is your enemy?


*makes a face* I wouldn't say I have any enemies, per say. I'm too charming for enemies...although I did manage to annoy someone enough to send a demon after me once. Once or twice, I've had a run-in with a jealous fiance or jilted lover threatening revenge, but I wouldn't consider those enemies.

Who do you most admire in your world? Why?


*clucks tongue* So many deep, serious questions! But I suppose if you insist...

High Mage Eryk Alycon is the closest I've ever had to a father and I admire him immensely. We met when I was a child--I tried to steal his coin purse--and instead of seeing me punished as most nobles would've done, he chose to take me to the Tower to study magic as his apprentice. I hope to be worthy enough to succeed him one day and hope I'll be half the High Mage he is.

Tell us a little about your world, and where you fit in?


Egalion? It's beautiful. Each province has its own unique culture and people, yet in spite of the, ah, variety, they mostly manage to live in peace. The Hendai have their horses and the Darmese sail their ships and Rowan is a mixture of them all. As a mage, I primarily reside in the Tower--Turris Arcana, as it's formally marked on the maps--and it's likely one of the most defensible locations in the kingdom. Probably because it's in Goddess-forsaken nowhere and no army wants to freeze its bollocks off in an attempt to take it.

Where is the best place to visit in your world? What places should visitors avoid?


Oooh, actually the answer to that may well be the same place! "The Harpy's Flask" is the best tavern in Egalion, though certainly not the nicest or safest I've ever seen. *shrugs* If you're looking for something a little more tame, the palace gardens are extraordinary.


What was the most embarrassing moment in your life?


Ah, well, I suppose having Enari care for me like I was a helpless infant--I *was* rather helpless, unfortunately--is definitely not the most manly and shining experience of my life. That, and that one time before the Maelstrom showed up...


What are your goals? What would you like to achieve?


Since I was a child, I've honed my magical gifts and trained under the High Mage in the hopes that I will succeed him one day.

What is the most important lesson you've learned about life?


Loyalty is worth more than any amount of coin...and if someone is offering you coin for your loyalty, you don't want it. Or them.


Have you ever been in love?


I didn't believe in love until I met Enari. Lust? Absolutely. The pleasure of a spontaneous romance? Nothing like it. And I'd never have turned down the offer of a quick tumble. But love...well, that woman made a believer out of me.


What do you own that would be hardest to part with? Why?


Ugh, Phetos. That damned horse is a stubborn, domineering creature, but I wouldn't trade him or give him up for anything in the world. (It helps that I own little else besides the beast.) He's smarter than a lot of people I know and faithful, in spite of his tendency to bite.


Name some of your bad habits.


*places hand over heart* A gentleman has no bad habits! I'm offended that you would even think to ask! Unless you consider extremely good taste in clothes and wine a bad habit. :)

Would you ever or have you ever lied? 


Lying is, unfortunately, a job requirement to run for the Shadow Lady. I *do* try to avoid telling falsehoods to those I care about, however.


If you had one day left to live, what would you do with your last day?


Enari would likely kill me in a drawn-out and inventive manner for answering that in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I hope you will show your support to these indie authors. Please leave a comment!