Wednesday 30 May 2018

Once... A #Fantasy #ShortStory Collection by Ronel Janse van Vuuren




Ronel Janse van Vuuren is the author of New Adult, Young Adult and children’s fiction filled with mythology and folklore. Her dark fantasy stories can be read for free on Wattpad and on her blog Ronel the Mythmaker. She won Fiction Writer of the Year 2016 for her Afrikaans stories on INK: Skryf in Afrikaans. Her published works can be viewed on Goodreads.

Ronel can be found tweeting about writing and other things that interest her, arguing with her characters, researching folklore for her newest story or playing with her Rottweilers when she’s not actually writing.




Connect with the Author




Get a Free Book!



About the Book


Damsels in distress, curses, echoes of faery tales and tragic love affairs swirl together in sixteen stories found in a dragon’s lair by a curious half-fae.

Unexpected changes to reality cause more than one damsel to turn into a strong, independent woman who takes charge of her own life.

A collection of short stories about Faerie and the fae that live in the human realm. A few of the stories had won competitions and all of them had enchanted readers.

Learn their secrets and enter the realm of the fae…

Get it Today!


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Books2Read






Keep reading for an interview with the author:


Did you have a hard time sharing your work with the public?


Yes. Joining online writing groups like Wattpad and INK forced me to share my writing with others while honing my skills with their writing competitions.

What genres do you write?


Dark Fantasy, with New Adult and Young Adult as sub-genres.

What is the oddest thing you've ever researched for one of your books?


I research a lot of folklore for my stories, all of it odd, but I think when I had to research the nutritional value of worms it got really weird. One of my characters from "Once..." loves fried worms for breakfast. It turns out it isn't all that strange: worms are a staple food in many communities.

When did you first consider yourself an author?


When I won "Fiction Writer of the Year" on the writing platform INK: Skryf in Afrikaans. It was the first time I knew that my writing was making an impact.

What are your goals as an author?


In five years I would like to be able to make a living from my writing. I want to have a proper backlist and a dedicated publishing schedule. (I've already mapped it out.) Taking over the world doesn't sound too bad, either ;-)

Do you prefer ebooks, print or both?


I like ebooks for non-fiction (unless it's a workbook type) and print for fiction.

What made you decide to self-publish?


I'm from South Africa, which makes getting an agent quite difficult (we have none so I have to query overseas). After winning a publishing competition last year hosted by a local author services company, I knew then that my writing is liked by more than just my family and friends. It was my aha! moment to become an indie author.

What is the best thing about self-publishing?


I get to choose what to write, what to publish, when to publish, who to work with and what the cover will look like. I like the idea of being in charge of my own destiny. It's a powerful feeling to know that getting published doesn't rely on anyone but myself.

What fears do you have about writing and being an indie author?


That I'm deluding myself or running a great con. Getting amazing feedback on my writing -- I got a 5-star review from a book blogger for "Once..." -- helps me dispel those fears. Also, I'm part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group that meets monthly -- it really helps to know that I'm not alone.

Do you write in first or third person, past or present tense, and why?


I prefer to write in limited third person and in past tense. It helps to stay focused on the main character and bring in a bit of mystery -- after all, with a limited view, you only know what the main character knows even if you can guess at what others are thinking when they interact with the main character.

Do you write about real life experiences, or does everything come from your imagination?


My stories start off with something real, but by the time I'm done with it, the story reads like pure fantasy. I like to layer my stories with the real and the imagined.

Do you ever base your characters on people you know?


I have. It makes for fun writing -- especially tormenting a nemesis or "fixing" something in someone's life. Not that I can name names or hint at the stories... You never know when someone might take offense. I can admit, though, that all the faery dogs are based on my rottweilers.

What are you working on now?


A Young Adult retelling of "Snow White" in Afrikaans for the Sanlam Youth Literature Prize. It deals with loss, friendship, love, and other issues teenagers deal with.

What inspired your current work?


I wanted to share the story behind the changes in Faerie and how it influenced the mortal realm when magic and fae were let loose. It is a sort of prequel to other (yet unpublished) books I've written.

What was the hardest part about writing your latest book?


Having to feel the emotions of the various characters as their stories developed -- it made for great plot twists, but I had to deal with emotions not my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I hope you will show your support to these indie authors. Please leave a comment!