Wednesday 2 May 2018

The Jericho Prophecy: A #Fantasy #Novel by Fiona Tarr





My fantasy novels are fast-paced, character-driven historical stories with strong mystical, spiritual and theological themes mixed with elements of the classic heroic/epic fantasy genre. My writing was first inspired by the heroic fantasy style of David Gemmell, but I have most recently been compared to Traci Harding.

I always appreciate legitimate feedback so please don't forget to review my work when you have read it.

It turns out writing is in the blood. My Great Uncle was George Johnston (My Brother Jack) and although I don't claim to have his renowned literary style, I do write a mean fantasy novel.

I find culture, faith, philosophy and sociology intriguing and these topics are at the heart of my fantasy.

I live in Noosa, Australia with my husband and two sons and I run a small business involving tourism and watersports. Occasionally I dabble in advocacy, mentoring and spend time on my personal entrepreneurial pursuits. When I am not writing I am either kitesurfing, stand up paddle surfing, travelling or volunteering in some capacity. I love cheese, chocolate and living a creative life.

Connect with the Author




Get a Free Book!



About the Book


The battle for divine power rages within the Eternal Realm.


As the conflict escalates a prophecy is born that will set god against god amidst the mortal world below.

When the young priestess Rahab saves two foreigners from execution, she sets in motion a sequence of events that could see the death of everyone she knows and loves.

The future of humanity hangs in the balance as two bloodlines converge to battle over the city of Jericho. Now the Goddess Asherah must protect the prophecy and ensure both ancestral lines survive.

If either bloodline dies, the Host of Heaven will continue to battle for eternity.....

Get it Today!


Amazon | iBooks | Barnes & Noble | Kobo


Keep reading for an interview with the author:


Where are you from?


I live in Noosa, Australia. It's a tourist destination with beautiful white sandy beaches and national parks. We have a very small Indie Writing community and I have gotten to know a few other local authors.

Do you have a "day job"?


I do. I own a small business based in watersports both retail and coaching. My husband and two sons work with me, which is both rewarding and challenging all at the same time.

What genres do you write?


I write fantasy, epic/heroic for the most part. I really love the grand adventure, the struggle of good against evil and the grey area that often occupies the fantasy realm.

What inspires you to write?


I wish I knew. I prefer writing over reading and I really enjoy the escapism writing offers me. I write from my heart, my philosophical outlook and from an almost primal need to discover more about the divine, magical, spiritual realm.

Do you have a daily word or page count goal?


I don't put myself under that sort of pressure. It isn't that I am not dedicated, it is more a case of writing is like ice-cream for me; It squeezes between the gaps when and as they appear.

How long does it take you to write a novel?


To write the first draft is usually about 4-6 weeks. A lot of research goes into the book before this point and I do that when I am not so busy with other work during the year.

What author has most influenced you?


David Gemmell was a brilliant writer and I am heavily influenced by his style. He wrote fast-paced plots and always with an emphasis towards culture, philosophy and faith. His heroic style was full of unlikely heroes and heroic villains and I loved the way he always found the grey area between good and evil.

What are your goals as an author?


I am not ready to write full time yet. I love the family business I run but I hope that in five years I will be ready to take a break from full-time work and write at least three novels a year.

Does your family support you in your writing, or are you on your own?


My husband is awesome. He is one of two beta readers who critique my final draft for plot holes and flow. As an avid fantasy reader, he is a great source of encouragement. In fact, he told me that The Jericho Prophecy is my best novel yet and he read it one night.

My mum is super proud, even though she doesn't actually like fantasy novels, she has still read all of mine. She has paperback copies and lends them out to all my friends and family back in my hometown.

Have you ever had a particularly harsh critique?


I had one reader who is actually a writer herself who said my book wasn't as good as the bible. It was a really strange comment. My stories are very loosely based on Old Testament stories. I add quite a lot of dark magic, political turmoil and I often challenge religious dogma so comparing my stories to the bible was a really strange critique. I think some readers don't understand where I am coming from, but that is ok.

What do you enjoy doing aside from writing?


When I am not writing or working in the family business, you will find me kitesurfing. I love it. It is freedom personified.

What book or series do you enjoy reading over and over again?


Waylander by David Gemmell. I love the tormented man represented in this book. Someone who was once a good and loyal soldier, broken by a terrible tragedy and then judged unjustly by people who have sinned as much as he, but less violently.

What made you decide to self-publish?


I write in a slightly offbeat style with an underlying current that mainstream might not fully embrace. I believed self-publishing was the best way to reach my readers and not have to change my style to suit commercial fiction ideals.

Would you recommend self-publishing to other authors?


I would definitely recommend self-publishing to most authors. Traditional publishers are only interested in backing the guaranteed money makers. If you are already famous, they will be all over your work, but for unknown authors, publishing houses and traditional agents are really not supportive.

What are you working on now?


I just finished The Jericho Prophecy and I am drafting my next full-length novel, most likely based around Samson and Delilah. But in the meantime, I am working on a Novella series about the Priestess Order of Shiloh that featured in my last book series.

What inspired your current work?


The Jericho Prophecy was inspired by a TV series called Lucifer; believe it or not. The idea that God told the Israelites to worship no other god but him got me wondering about the 'other' gods. Not to be blasphemous here, I investigated and found out some really interesting historical facts and decided to weave them into my story about the Fall of Jericho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I hope you will show your support to these indie authors. Please leave a comment!