Friday 8 December 2017

The Renegade Series - A Beautiful Glittering Lie, A Beckoning Hellfire, A Rebel Among Us by J.D.R. Hawkins

J.D.R. Hawkins is an award-winning author who has written for newspapers, magazines, newsletters, e-zines, and blogs. She is one of only a few female Civil War authors, and uniquely describes the front lines from a Confederate perspective. Her Renegade Series includes A Beautiful Glittering Lie, winner of the John Esten Cooke Fiction Award and the B.R.A.G. Medallion, A Beckoning Hellfire, which is also an award winner, and A Rebel Among Us, recipient of the 2017 John Esten Cooke Fiction Award. These books tell the story of a family from north Alabama who experience immeasurable pain when their lives are dramatically changed by the war. Her nonfiction book, Horses in Gray: Famous Confederate Warhorses, has recently been published. She is currently working on another sequel for the Renegade Series. Ms. Hawkins is a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the International Women’s Writing Guild, Pikes Peak Writers, and Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers. She is also an artist and singer/songwriter. Learn more about her at http://jdrhawkins.com.

Connect with the Author




Get regular updates!


About the Book


J.D.R. Hawkins’ Renegade Series describes the trials, tragedies, and triumphs of several families during the Civil War. With colorful settings and vivid descriptions, the series portrays life during a tumultuous time in American history. From the spring of 1861 until the end of the war in 1865, the characters in this family saga come to life, experiencing pain and suffering, as well as joy and jubilation. The Renegade Series is astounding in its imagery, and truly one not to miss.

Get it Today!


Amazon | Smashwords | Barnes & Noble | Kobo





Keep reading for an interview with the author:


Why did you decide to be a writer?


I've been a writer ever since I can remember, and have written everything from songs to poetry to short stories and novels.


What genres do you write?


Primarily historical fiction, but I have also written children's books and a nonfiction book.

Do you have a daily word or page count goal?


Five hundred words is a basic goal. When I'm writing a book, though, I shoot for a page a day.

If you could be one of your characters for a day, who would it be and why?


I would be Anna. She is strong and strong-willed, and although she has experienced personal loss, she has big goals and dreams.

What is the most difficult thing you've ever researched?


Battle scenes were the toughest. It gave me nightmares! I startled awake one time after I dreamt a bullet whizzed by my head. I drew a lot of description from actual journals and diaries, so the descriptions are real.

What are your goals as an author?


I would like to be an international best seller. I would also like to write three or four more books.


What is the best writing advice you've ever received?


Show don't tell. I fall into this trap frequently, which is easy to do when writing historical fiction. It helps to have a great editor to point these issues out.

How many books do you have on your "to read" list?


I'm really behind on reading some of the best sellers. I'd like to read The Girl on the Train and A Broken Kind of Beautiful.

Do you write in first or third person, past or present tense, and why?


Mostly I write in third person, but one of my books is in first person. They are all in past tense. I thought that would be the most effective way to tell the story.

How do you come up with the titles for your books?


I don't have a problem with coming up with titles. The first book in the Renegade Series, A Beautiful Glittering Lie, was taken from a quote a Confederate soldier wrote in regard to the Civil War, stating that it was "all a glittering lie."

Have you ever gotten an idea for a story from something really bizarre?


I wrote a book about my great aunt and uncle, who ran a hotel in my hometown, Sioux City, during the Depression. Supposedly, there was gangster activity going on there, and money was hidden behind the wallpaper!


What inspired your current work?


Seeing the Gettysburg battlefield was awe inspiring, because I had never seen a Civil War battlefield before. It inspired me to write the first book, which turned into a series.

What was the hardest part about writing your latest book?


It was nonfiction, which I hadn't done before on that large of a scale. There was so much research involved. It was exhausting!


Do you have any advice for other authors?


Write what you love and feel passionate about, and never give up!


Do you have anything specific you'd like to say to your readers?


I decided to write from the Southern perspective because it has nearly become lost to history. Slavery was an issue but it wasn't the cause of the Civil War. I didn't understand that because I grew up in Iowa and wasn't told about the Southern side. So I researched it myself and discovered the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I hope you will show your support to these indie authors. Please leave a comment!