Wednesday 25 July 2018

The Secrets of the Clock: A #GeneralFiction #Novel by C.S. Kjar

C.S. Kjar lives with her long-time first husband in their empty nest in Boise. She spent her life doing many different things. She’s been a stay-at-home mom, a teacher, a secretary, a statistician, a literacy tutor, a newsletter editor, a timber sale accountant, an archeological technician, and best and longest of all, a technical writer/editor.

After retiring, she focused on writing fiction. Her novels are sweet and wholesome, suspenseful with a touch of romance. She has also written children's, middle age books, and one non-fiction book about quilting.

The author’s last name is pronounced “care.” She hopes that’s what everyone will do. Care about each other.

Connect with the Author




Sign up for her Newsletter!



About the Book


Getting along with your family can be difficult, even under normal circumstances. If your dad is Father Time, and your sisters are married to Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and Headless Horseman, family dynamics take on a whole new dimension. Essie Bunny, Sharon Claus, and Hannah Horseman are ordinary sisters with extraordinary families. They have not spoken to each other in 15 years after a big family blow-up. When their mother dies, she leaves them a cryptic message, telling them to search for her last wishes on a videotape in their childhood home. She also tells them to set the old grandfather clock to five and wait for the magic to happen.

Get it Today!


Amazon | iBooks



Keep reading for an interview with Hannah Horseman, a character from the book:


Where were you born, and what was it like growing up there?


I was born in Florida. My father, Father Time, built a cottage for my mother on several acres near the beach. My father taught me to swim, and I love to swim in the ocean. It was the perfect place to live.

Did you have a close relationship with your family?


I am the youngest of three sisters. When we were young, we were very close. When my sisters got married and moved away, I was very close to my mother. We had a wonderful time together.

What is the happiest memory from your childhood?


The days when my father visited us were the very best. We'd take a picnic to the beach and play in the water all day long. When we got tired, we'd sit under the umbrella and listen to my parents talk about the things they'd seen and done.

Who was your best friend growing up?


My mom was my best friend. Oh, the girls at school were nice, and I did things with them, but I never quite fit in. We had too many secrets at our house.

If you could compare yourself to someone from another novel, who would it be?


I think I'm very much like Hermione in the Harry Potter Books. My dad is Father Time and my mother is a regular person. That makes me not-quite-regular, but not-quite-supernatural. While I can't do magic like Hermione can, I know there are things happening around us that most people aren't aware of.

Who is your enemy?


For a while, my sisters were my enemies. They laughed at me at my wedding to Headless Horseman and made me cry. They ruined my wedding! I hated them after that. But my mother cooked up a scheme that made us forgive each other and brought us back to being sisters again. After that, anyone who threatens my family is my enemy.

Who do you most admire in your world?


I admire my husband most of all. His physical handicap (his head isn't attached to his body) makes it hard for us to out in public. People stare, and it makes him uncomfortable. Consequently, we don't get off our big horse farm in Pennsylvania too often. But I admire Headless because even though he looks scary, he's got a heart of gold. In spite of being treated horribly his whole life, he's found a way to be a good father and a good husband. He's made a good life for his family.

Tell us a little about your world, and where you fit in?


My oldest sister, Essie, is married to Easter Bunny, and my next sister, Sharon, is married to Santa Claus. We each have our special times of year that we work hard to make special for everyone else. We're normal women, but we have extraordinary lives. We live on the fringes of society so we don't draw attention to ourselves, but still, try to give our children a normal upbringing.

What was the most embarrassing moment in your life?


It was my wedding. When I came out in my black wedding dress, my sisters' mouths dropped open and Essie started laughing and pointing at me. Mother tried to quiet her, but she persisted in her ridicule. I was mortified.

What are your goals?


I want to help Headless raise the best horses in the country. He's got such a way with them that they are highly prized for their training. I want my two boys, Huntley and Horace, to grow up and be good human beings in the world. They are good-hearted kids and I hope they stay that way.

What is your greatest fear?


I'm afraid that the townspeople will discover the true identity of Headless and storm our house like they stormed the castle of Frankenstein. That's why we stay very private and keep watch for strangers prowling around. Our two hellhounds help patrol the place.

What is the most important lesson you've learned about life?


I learned how to forgive my sisters for what they did on my wedding day. You have to forgive others to maintain the relationships that will do you the most good and provide the most support.

What is the strangest situation you've ever found yourself in?


The first time I had to feed Headless was very awkward. I have to put a tube down his esophagus and pour in his nourishment. Now it's old hat, but the first time was strange.

Who has been the greatest influence in your life?


My mother! A mortal woman who fell in love with and married Father Time. My father's age changes over the course of the year. He could only visit us when his appearance matched the age it should be to look right to anyone who saw us. He came to visit later and later each year and stayed only two weeks at a time. Sometimes he'd come at Christmas when he was a very old man. We called him Gramps just so people didn't know who he was.

What is the greatest obstacle you have ever had to face?


People who don't believe in the extraordinary are hard to deal with. My sister, Sharon, says Santa's feelings get hurt when people don't believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I hope you will show your support to these indie authors. Please leave a comment!